March 12, 2021
- The NFA Swimming Pool Construction is almost complete, but we are still 3-4 weeks away from a grand opening. The pool is currently being filled. It then needs to be heated, and we are currently scheduling Inspection by the Department of Health. Tile grouting, diving boards, and starting blocks are being installed.
December 10, 2020 -
Construction progress of the NFA Swimming Pool renovation is on schedule with all contractors responding accordingly. One hundred percent of the pool water processing equipment has been removed entirely with the existing underground pool piping completely relined. All new equipment is on site with approximately eighty percent of the new processing equipment is installed.
Currently, the Natatorium (pool) area is completely covered and protected against overhead spray painting. Required are two primer coats to the entire structural steel joists including newly-installed, exposed ductwork and air distribution outlets. Then, two finish coats of protective paint aligned to the district branding color commitments, will also be applied. Once the overhead painting is finished and dried, new wall tile coverings will be installed as well as the refurbishment and re-grouting of the pool floor and perimeter walls.
Both pool locker room areas have been completely gutted with new HVAC and ceilings approximately eighty-five percent completed. Floor and wall coverings are scheduled to be installed next.
Also included as part of this scope of work are the exterior masonry steps leading up to the gymnasium, which have been completely demolished and the concrete re-poured. The existing 20,000-gallon reserve, underground oil tank has been emptied and confirmed environmentally prepared for removal by the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) The entire tank removal is scheduled for this Thursday December 10th 2020. After extensive soil testing the oil tank opening will be back-filled. It is important to note the NFA High School facility operates using natural gas.
The fully completed pool project is anticipated for late February – mid March. Further and necessary swimming pool water treatment may require up to an additional month before resuming occupancy and swimming activities.
November 6, 2020 -
Renovation of the NFA Main Swimming Pool continues to progress on schedule and within budget. One hundred percent of the demolition work is completed including all of the asbestos removal. Preparation work is underway in support of new material and equipment to be installed. Some key scopes of work include:
- Priming and Painting of the roof deck above the spectator’ seating area.
- The district took delivery of the ductwork which is also being primed before installation.
- The base of the pool excavation is completed along with the installation of new underground piping.
- Delivery of the new pool processing equipment is anticipated next week.
All construction work is anticipated to be completed on or about mid-March before new water is introduced to the pool. New and initial water chemical treatment is expected to last about a month and before the pool is ready for use.
October 9, 2020
- The NFA Swimming Pool Renovation is progressing on schedule with the excavation of the base of the pool well underway to allow access to the ruptured drain line. Approximately forty square feet of base had to be removed to provide ample access to the underground pipe.
Close monitoring of the worksite is necessary as students have returned to school in-person as well as renovation of the external gymnasium steps are in progress. Installation of new building materials should begin within the month. Underground oil tank removal is also scheduled.
September 29, 2020 -
The NFA Swimming Pool Renovation is well underway with General, Mechanical, electrical and abatement work progressing aggressively. Safety and logistical barriers have been installed completely isolating the pool and pump room construction areas from the balance of NFA’ s school facility: Progress thus far includes:
- Asbestos Abatement of the floor tile and mechanical piping
- Pool boiler and associated equipment and piping removal
- Swimming pool deck floor tile removal
- Removal of the bench seats in the spectator area
- Heating, Ventilation equipment and ductwork removal
The next major scope of work is the excavation of the base of the pool to gain access to the underground ruptured drain piping. The district is exploring the fiscal impact of the possibility of including the boys and girls locker rooms as part of this project. No final decisions have been made thus far.
Work at the pool is anticipated to take about a year before completion.