Only those students who are legal residents of the Newburgh District and who are of legal age are entitled to attend Newburgh Schools. A child’s residence is determined by the residence of the child’s parents or legal custodial person.
Non-Resident families who wish to enroll their children in the Newburgh School District must first apply in writing and are considered based on a number of established criteria. All Non-Resident students must pay tuition.
Questions concerning residency eligibility should be brought to the attention of the Office of Registration located at 124 Grand Street or call (845) 534-KIDS.
In its continued effort to serve the residents of the Newburgh Enlarged City School District, the Office of Registration continually pursues the efficient placement of children in the schools of their choice.
The Office of Registration is responsible for the registration of all students new to the District or those re-entering the District. Registration for students entering the Newburgh District during the school year is ongoing.
The Office also has the responsibility of distributing and equalizing Pre-Kindergarten enrollment among the nine Universal Pre-Kindergarten program sites; and K-8 enrollment among the District’s seven elementary schools, two K-8 schools, and two middle schools. The office designs and implements all aspects of the registration and transfer process guided by the policies and regulations of the Newburgh Board of Education.
In order to accomplish this, a lottery might be necessary at the Pre-Kindergarten, Kindergarten, and Middle School levels each year. If the number of applications to a certain school exceeds the number of seats available at that school, a lottery might be conducted. Siblings of students already enrolled in a particular school have preference to that building.
Eligible students must have reached the age of four on or before December 1st, 2018. Parents seeking to enroll their children must do so in person at 124 Grand Street, Newburgh New York between the hours of 8:00 AM and 3:30 PM.
The District offers a grant-funded full-day Universal Pre-Kindergarten Program. The program is offered at no cost to parents.
Parents are reminded that requirements for registration for Pre-Kindergarten are as follows and are to be satisfied at the time of registration:
- Child must be 4 years of age by December 1st to enroll in this program
- Birth Certificate
- Immunization / Shot Record
- Copy of Last Physical Exam
- Proof of Residency
- ONLY (1) of the following options is necessary to meet this requirement:
- Current Utility bill (gas, electric, telephone, cable)
- Current Rent Receipt, Lease Agreement, Mortgage Statement
- Current Paystub
- Current Correspondence from a Government Agency
(Department of Social Services, Social Security SSI, Child Support)
- Government Issued Picture ID of the Parent / Guardian
- Custody, Guardianship, or Foster Care Documentation (if applicable)
- Current Report Card, Transcript (or IEP if applicable)
Kindergarten to Grade 12 Registration
Parents are reminded that requirements for registration for Kindergarten to Grade 12 are as follows:
You must submit at least one (1) of the following documents and at least one (1) item from Supplementary Proof of Residency (below):
- A residential lease (preferably signed within the last 3 months) with current rent receipt (the District reserves the right to also request a Statement of Landlord or Owner, attached)
- A mortgage or deed
- A statement from a landlord concerning your tenancy (Statement of Landlord or Owner is attached)
- A sworn statement from a third party that establishes your presence in the Newburgh Enlarged City School District (Third Party Affidavit attached)
Supplementary Proof of Residency
You may submit any other relevant evidence you wish to, including but not limited to the following types of documentation with current address to indicate residency:
- Current Utility bill (gas, electric, telephone, cable) with the location of service indicated
- Current Pay Stub with address
- Income Tax Form
- Membership Documents based on residency (e.g., library card)
- Voter registration documents
- Official Driver’s License, learner’s permit or non-driver identification
- State or other government issued identification
- Documents issued by federal, state or local agencies (e.g., local social service agency, federal Office of Refugee Resettlement, Social Security SSI, Child Support)
Transfer requests are accepted from January through the end of June for consideration for the following September. Requests are reviewed at the end of July by the Office of Registration.
The procedure for all transfer requests begins with the parent(s) making an appointment to meet with their child’s teacher and the building principal. At this meeting, the parent(s) fill out a Transfer Request form; the principal’s office then forwards the transfer request to the Office of Registration for review over the summer.
Contact Registration Office
The Registration Office is located at the Newburgh Library/BOE Complex at 124 Grand Street, Newburgh, NY 12550.
Hours: 8AM-3:30PM, Monday through Friday
We take the last FULL registration with all completed paperwork and documentation at 3:00pm Monday through Friday.
Registration forms must be submitted in person only by a parent, legal guardian, or by a caseworker to the Office of Registration at the NECSD Welcome Center 124 Grand Street, Newburgh, NY 12550